Monday 14 October 2013

A goods train, A Goods Train, A GOODS TRAIN!

.... said Gordon, grunting like an impotent executive trying in vein to enjoy his "business" trip in Bangkok.

Hello, it's me, Sylvian, welcome back to my irreverent look at model railways. As you may have guessed, I'm watching Thomas the Tank Engine. Mere weeks before I turn 27, I feel like  a dad who took divorce quite badly. I've even took to comfort eating... This life will be the death of me. 

But as I waft, limply into oblivion I continue with my modelling. I last left you with a rake of Ammonia Sulphate wagon, and I'm pleased to say I've done literally fuck all with them since. 

Instead I've been slowly but surely working on modifying a Dapol Brake Van to turn it into some more Ex-LNER. With the help of a scalpel, some squadron putty and a modelling by Martin Welch I commandeered from the library, I set to work. 

So far I've really just done the chassis but this is where I expect most of the work would have gone with it, the rest looks a little simple... apart from the railing. (Actually I've just realised I still need to do them...bollocks)

                                      

One of the main bits on the body I've reworked was inner wall way which lost it's original planking after a good seeing to with sandpaper to removed those ruddy moulding marks. The planking is just some 2mm microstrip.


The ballast blocks on LNER brake vans ran right up to the verandas so this was amended on the model with some thick plastic strip which was filed down when the glue has thoroughly dry. (I say thoroughly dry, I did risk it and it paid off)  

                                         

Once of this was finished, the squadron putty came out to make the little problems disappear , like what the CIA does to people. That is what they do, right?

                                         

 Further details were eventually added to the under frame including the bracing made from "L" strip.


And we see the eventual evolution of the brake gear given a basic mod to single clasp ( as per NER prototype), I couldn't be arsed looking around for some. I am told however ABS do some. They'll look alright once painted and weathered, from a distance, to a blind man.



So here is the overall outcome of the chassis bit, brake gear has been added along with brake loops made from staples and some whitemetal brake pipes from 51L models I bought at York about a year ago. As some of you more observant may have seen, the foot boards have been cut down by about 10mm from the left end and rejoined with some new hole made let them fit. 

Its been fun but I do fear I may suffer from a general unhappy lethargy which makes these projects protract. 

Sod it, I'm joining Fathers fro Justice! 

No comments:

Post a Comment